I am conducting research in mathematical programming and operations research, on the edge between computer science, mathematics, and economics, and with a focus on computational methods and numerical implementations of high performance. My particular research interests include (but are not limited to):
- Discrete Algorithms & Combinatorial Optimization & Mathematical Programming & Operations Research
- Integer Programming, (Non-)Linear Programming, in particular Binary (Quadratic) Programming
- Branch-&-Cut Algorithms, Reformulation and Linearization Techniques
- Graph Theory, Polyhedral Theory, Algorithmic Game Theory
- Combinatorial Algorithms & Data Structures, Algorithm Engineering and High Performance Computing
- Graph Algorithms and Drawing
- Data and Network Analysis, Matching, Ordering, and Assignment Problems/li>
- Continuous Optimization, Convex Optimization, Semidefinite Programming
A particular emphasis in my scientific work is on a better solution of
optimization problems in practice, e.g., by improving or reformulating
corresponding models, by sophisticated computational advances such as
engineered separation algorithms, by exploiting structures to derive
tailored preprocessing and solution methods, or by enhancing the respective
solution methods themselves.
Please find below a selection of current research projects as well as publications.
The above scientific fields are also an integral part of my teaching at the University of Bonn while my experience and portfolio covers also several further areas in Mathematics & Computer Science.
Academic Background & Professional Appointments
- 10/2019-03/2020: Research Associate (Postdoc) - Department of Mathematics & Computer Science - University of Cologne
- 04/2019-09/2019: Interim (Full) Professorship - Department of Mathematics & Computer Science - University of Cologne
- 01/2015-03/2019: Research Associate (Postdoc) - Department of Mathematics & Computer Science - University of Cologne
- 2015: PhD in Computer Science - University of Cologne
- 04/2009-01/2015: Research Assistant (PhD Candidate) - Department of Mathematics & Computer Science - University of Cologne
- 11/2008: Diploma in Computer Science - Technical University of Dortmund
Some selected current projects are:
Inductive Linearization for (constrained) Binary Quadratic Problems (Theory and Computational Study)
- Exact Methods and an Instance Library for the Maximum Cut Problem and (unconstrained) Binary Quadratic Optimization
- The relaunch (and step-wise enhancement) of a Spin Glass Server that was previously run at the University of Cologne.
You may access a full publication
list (i.e., with theses as well as recent and earlier preprints)
A list of peer-reviewed publications is available via ORCID.
Finally, you might also take a look at DBLP, however, as you see some of the rather math-oriented journal publications are either not listed there or only listed with a quite large delay.